How to recycle our coffee bags?

eco friendly coffee bags

Le Jardin utilizes Biotrē packaging, developed by
Pacific Bag, Inc. This is the best option Le Jardin’s team found to help reduce the amount of trash thrown into the planet, and still keep your coffee fresh.

The Biotrē bag, in particular, is 60 percent (by weight) biodegradable, made from wood pulp. This part is compostable. After separating the valve and tin tie, the remaining 40 percent of the bag is a polyethylene liner with an additive allowing the liner to break down over five to 10 year, much faster than a conventional fossil-fuel-based liner.

To break it down:
 
Biotrē™ 1.0 has been available since 2011 and has become well-established as an earth-friendly packaging option for a variety of applications. 

  • Made from 60% (by weight) renewable plant-based resources
  • 60% breaks down into healthy compost using processes from OECD and conditions taken from ASTM standards
  • Earth-friendly, heat sealable, barrier material

If you want to find out more about how the Biotrē bag decomposes in compost you can watch this video


Pacific Bag, Inc is currently working on a new generation of Biotrē that aims to be 100% compostable and 100% renewable, including the valve. As soon this new generation of Biotrē becomes available to the market Le Jardin will switch to this new packaging option.